Community reacts after video surfaces showing moments after 15-year-old is shot in Bridgeport

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (WTNH) — It was a sanctuary city rally in front of Bridgeport City Hall that turned into a civil justice protest on Monday.

15-year-old Jason Negron was shot and killed by police last Tuesday after he allegedly stole a car and struck two police officers. New video of Negron handcuffed laying face down in the street has surfaced on Twitter.

The video shows him handcuffed on his stomach looking at the camera. The camera dips away for 4 to 5 seconds then pops back up and Negron’s head is facing the other direction. There is a police officer with him and sirens can be heard in the background. Police say he was pronounced dead at the scene. But in the video, family member say he looks alive which makes them doubt the police’s side of the story.

Camelle Scott-Mujahid is from New Haven and with CT CORE, a movement in fairness and social justice.

“I think it is outrageous and unacceptable. I don’t think there’s any justification for the police to have done that. I am sick, sick seeing that video,” she said.

Related Content: Officer identified in Bridgeport teen’s shooting death

People we talk to say, you have to remember this is just a snapshot in time, a one minute window. You don’t know what happened before the video and you don’t know what happened after the video. That is why police say it will be part of the investigation, but they are going to look at all of the evidence.

News 8 did reach out to Mayor Ganem. We spoke to him on the phone and he told us right now there’s not much to comment on. He said he’s waiting for the investigation by State Police.

Related Content: Police obtain amateur video at scene of 15-year-old shot

Scott-Mujahid says the video speaks for itself.

“I am angry and this community is angry and we are standing together. We are not going to just sit back and let this happen. We want accountability for these officers,” she said.

The Bridgeport Chief Armando Perez says the officer had been on the job only one year and is on leave pending the investigation.

“He is so distraught. The last thing he wanted to do was pull out that gun and shoot that little boy.”