NOAA predicts active Atlantic hurricane season

(WTNH) — The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) released an updated outlook for the 2017 Atlantic Basin hurricane season on Thursday. They are calling for near to above normal hurricane activity in the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico. NOAA predicts a 45% chance for an above-normal season, a 35% chance for a near-normal season, and a 20% chance for a below-normal season.

noaa tropical forecast NOAA predicts active Atlantic hurricane season

The reasoning behind the forecast includes expected influence from neutral or weak El Nino conditions in the Pacific Ocean, above normal sea surface temperatures in the Atlantic Ocean, and relatively weak wind shear in the main tropical storm development region.

Hurricane Bob in August 1991 was the last hurricane to directly hit the New England coastline. Since then, there have been several close calls, including significant damage from Sandy and Irene a few years ago. We will keep a close eye on anything that develops in the tropics, and you can follow the storms here on wtnh.com.

WTNH NEWS8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Also, you can now block any inappropriate user by simple selecting the drop down menu on the right of any comment and selection "Block User" from there.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s