Fire at historic Naugatuck building ruled accident

(WTNH)–A fire at a historic building in Naugatuck has been ruled an accident. The fire marshall said that the fire, which broke out last Wednesday afternoon and caused quite a bit of damage started from a workman’s torch.

The building was being renoated, and was to be converted into the Naugatuck Historical Society’s headquarters.

No one was injured.

“Fortunately we did not have any of our artifacts in the building but the downside of it, the building is one of our artifacts,” Ken Hanks, the President of the Naugatuck Historical Society, said after the fire broke out last week.

The museum was originally projected to move in this July, but the fire postponed it for an additional year.

“It’s a very historical building in Naugatuck and we were hoping to preserve it and we’re still planning on doing that,” said Hanks.

WTNH NEWS8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Also, you can now block any inappropriate user by simple selecting the drop down menu on the right of any comment and selection "Block User" from there.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s