(WTNH)-Maria Sanchez from Sweet Maria’s Bakery in Waterbury makes biscotti in honor of the 20th anniversary of her first cookbook, Sweet Maria’s Italian Cookie Tray.
Dried Cranberry Almond Biscotti
1 ¼ to 1 ¾ cups flour
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup whole almonds
2 teaspoons amaretto
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, cranberries and almonds.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs and amaretto with a wire whisk.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry. Mix to combine. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead to make a soft, slightly sticky dough. If dough is too sticky to roll, knead in ½ cup flour.
- Divide dough into 3 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a loaf about 12-inches long. Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet, spacing each 4 inches apart.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool slightly.
- Slice loaves diagonally into ½” slices. Place cookies in a single layer back on the cookie sheet.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until well browned.
- Remove from the oven. Cool .
Makes about 30 cookies.