JJ Abrams will direct ‘Star Wars: Episode IX’

(ABC News) — J.J. Abrams has signed on to direct “Star Wars: Episode IX” after the original director left the project, production company Lucasfilm said today.

He directed “The Force Awakens,” the seventh episode of the series, in 2015.

“With ‘The Force Awakens,’ J.J. delivered everything we could have possibly hoped for, and I am so excited that he is coming back to close out this trilogy,” Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy said in a statement.

Related Content: Disney streaming service just got a lot bigger

The “Star Wars” galaxy has lost four directors in two years. On Sept. 5, Lucasfilm announced that “Jurassic World” and “Book of Henry” director Colin Trevorrow was no longer directing the next installment of the epic space opera, which first hit the big screen in 1977.

“Colin has been a wonderful collaborator throughout the development process, but we have all come to the conclusion that our visions for the project differ,” Lucasfilm said in a statement at the time.

In June, co-directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller (“The Lego Movie,” “21 Jump Street”) dropped out of the still untitled young Han Solo movie in the middle of filming, citing “different creative visions.” Ron Howard was hired to reshoot some scenes and finish the film, which stars Alden Ehrenreich as Han and Donald Glover as Lando Calrissian. The movie is scheduled to open in May 2018.

Related Content: J.J. Abrams Reveals Rey’s Parents Weren’t in ‘The Force Awakens’

In 2015, “Fantastic Four” director Josh Trank bowed out of another planned spinoff, reportedly citing the high pressure of directing a “Star Wars” movie.

“Episode IX” is set to be released in May 2019. One of the challenges for filmmakers is how the movie will handle the storyline of resistance leader Gen. Leia Organa after Carrie Fisher died suddenly last year.

Fisher had completed work on “Episode VIII” when she died last December. The film, “The Last Jedi,” opens in the U.S. on Dec. 15.

ABC News and Lucasfilm are both owned by parent company Disney.

WTNH NEWS8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Also, you can now block any inappropriate user by simple selecting the drop down menu on the right of any comment and selection "Block User" from there.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s