“I lived in a house for years with natural gas. Never had a problem for forty years so I guess I’m not afraid of gas,” said Pat Hansen of Niantic.
She uses propane because she prefers cooking with gas.
“Propane when you handle it properly it’s very safe,” said Leslie Anderson, President and CEO of the Propane Gas Association of New England. She spoke with News 8 over the phone.
Related Content: 2 seriously hurt, many shaken in Clinton explosion
She says there are ways to stay safe.
“It smells like a rotten egg and if you do smell it then you should immediately leave the area where you are and make sure that you don’t light anything or turn anything on that could ignite any of the gas,” said Anderson.
She says you can then turn off your outside tank if it’s safe to do so. Anderson says you should never change lines or equipment yourself and you should always have a technician come out when you open up your vacation home for the season, if you ever turn off your tank, or if you add a new appliance.
“It’s good to have somebody come out about every three years if it’s a full-time home but you don’t have to because once the system is charged and it’s in use it operates very efficiently,” said Anderson.
We asked her if after seeing explosions and other accidents any lessons have been learned.
“One of the most important things is never to store propane tanks inside your house,” said Anderson.
She says that means don’t keep any tanks even the smaller ones used for your grill in your basement or garage.
That’s because if there’s a fire they will add fuel to it and if there’s a leak you want the tank outside.
Another safety tip with the colder weather coming is to remember to always keep the vent for your system clear and free of snow.