(WTNH)-Nutritionist Kira Pantschenko makes a family friendly, highly customizable recipe. They heat up quick and can be eaten on the go and the recipe uses whole foods.
Tiny Taco Bites
Prep Time10 min
Cook Time 12 min
Total Time 25 min
- 8 corn tortillas or Wonton wrappers (you can find them in the produce section)
- 8 oz pork shoulder or chicken breast
- 1.5 tbsp taco seasoning (see recipe below)
- 6 tbsp salsa
- 1 lettuce leaf, shredded
- ½ cup cheese, finely shredded
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Using your mason jar as a guide, cut three mini tortillas from each large tortilla, making a total of 24. I found I was able to stack and cut through 3 large tortillas at once.
- Mix together the meat and taco seasoning.
- Microwave mini tortillas for 15 seconds. This helps make them pliable.
- Place one mini tortilla and 1 tsp of meat in each mini muffin tin. The meat will act as a weight and help keep the shape of the bites.Work quickly! Once the tortillas cool, they become more difficult to bend. If you use wonton wrappers, they fit perfectly into the muffins slots.
- Bake in the oven for 12 minutes or until tortillas are golden brown. Allow to cool for 3 minutes. The tortillas will continue to get crispy as they sit.
- Remove from muffin tin and top each with salsa, lettuce, and cheese.
Recipe and Photo Credit: www.craftycoin.com
HOMEMADE TACO SEASONING
- 1 Tbsp. Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Onion Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/4 tsp. Dried Oregano
- 1/2 tsp. Paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp. Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper (optional)