Hartford files counterclaim against ballpark developer

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — The city of Hartford says it has filed a counterclaim against the one-time developers of a minor league baseball stadium and ended an agreement with them to develop the surrounding area.

Centerplan Construction filed a lawsuit against the city last year after they were terminated from the stadium project following construction delays.

The city said Monday that it was countering that suit with claims of fraud and announced that Centerplan and DoNo Hartford LLC were being dropped as developers for the Downtown North neighborhood. A lawyer for Centerplan tells the Hartford Courant that the city cannot justify the move.

The city says Centerplan took public money intended to pay subcontractors on the stadium project and instead paid unrelated debts. The company said it did nothing wrong.

Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

WTNH NEWS8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Also, you can now block any inappropriate user by simple selecting the drop down menu on the right of any comment and selection "Block User" from there.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s