A neighbor described for us what she saw.
“It was horrific. The flames I could see them going from one apartment to the next,” said Gail Underwood, a neighbor.
Gail Underwood slept at her daughters house, just across the parking lot from where the fire broke out.
“I got up and saw intense flames. I saw the kids outside crying and ran over there started getting the kids out of the house. The mother was standing in the doorway burning clothes, clothes burnt off of her. We brought her on my daughter’s step. I put a sheet over her. I didn’t know she had second degree burns,” said Underwood.
The 61-year-old was transported to Bridgeport’s burn unit. Two other adults and three children were taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation.
The New Haven Fire Department says the fire started on the first floor through the rood on the second floor.
A sight all too familiar for Underwood.
“I’ve been through this myself it was horrible. I walked around the corner and my house was on fire. So I understand. So sorry for them,” she said.
While the fear of the fire spreading across the parking lot to their house was strong, it didn’t stop her from doing everything she could to help.
“She had oxygen tanks in there. Coming out the window. Everyone has to come together as one got to come together as neighbors to help one another.”
The Red Cross is helping these four families with housing and other necessities.