NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) — It’s time to start cooking up some favorite dishes for the Fall with Registered Dietitian Lisa Bishop from ShopRite.
Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 tablespoon of Olive oil
- 1 cup of sliced carrots
- 2 teaspoons of Kosher salt
- 6 cups of vegetables broth
- one 3-4 pound butternut squash
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon of chopped chives
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss the chopped carrots and the onions with olive oil and place on roasting pan.
- Cut the butternut squash length wise and take the seeds out.
- Roast butternut squash in oven for 1 hour in preheated oven.
- Use the tip of a knife to determine if the squash is tender enough to be able to blend with an immersion blender.
- Scoop out the squash flesh and place it into a stock pot along with the roasted onion and carrot pieces.
- Add 6 cups of vegetables broth and simmer to blend flavors for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Remove both from heat and use a hand immersion blender for 3 or 4 minutes.
- If soup seems too thick add a few tablespoons of water.
- Garnish with chopped chives.