(WTNH)-Genee Habansky puts a unique twist on an Italian favorite.
Butternut Squash “Alfredo” with Crispy Prosciutto
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 pound of butternut squash, medium dice
- 5 sprigs of thyme, tied together with kitchen twine
- 1 pound fresh pasta (preferably fettuccine)
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan, divided
- Salt and pepper
- 6 slices Prosciutto
- Preheat the oven to 375, line a half sheet pan with parchment paper & lay the Prosciutto on it
- Bake for 15 minutes, rotating once, until darker in color, remove from oven and place on a paper towel lined plate (will crisp up more during cooling)
- In a medium sauce pan, place cream, butter, squash, thyme & 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil then down to a simmer for about 15 minutes or so, until the squash is tender. Puree with an immersion or standing blender until smooth. Season with salt and pepper
- While the squash is cooking, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil (the water should be almost as salty as the ocean). Add the fresh pasta and cook for two minutes until done. Reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water. Add pasta to squash mix along with half the Parmesan. Add pasta water, a tablespoon at a time, if it is too thick
- To serve, twirl pasta into bowl, sprinkle grated Parmesan, top with crispy Proscuitto.