NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) — It’s October, which means it’s the season for walking! It’s time to celebrate Walktober with some creative ways to add some fun to this every day exercise.
Shana Schneider from Fitstyle by Shana shows us how you can achieve that 10,000 steps as a daily goal.
1. “Walk and Talk” with a friend, colleague, or family
- If you’re meeting for coffee, make sure you pick a place in a downtown setting, somewhere you can walk around
- If you’re walking with kids, add some fitness challenges for them like hopping on one or two feet or walking backwards or mental challenges by finding things that start with letters of the alphabet (Example: Find an ant for A, then bark of a tree for B)
2. “Walk for Good” by participating in a fundraising walk
- Find an area you’re passionate about supporting
- Sunday, October 15, you can join the American Cancer Society’s Making Strides Against Breast Cancer at Lighthouse Point in New Haven
3. “Walk and Learn” by taking a walking tour and explore a new place or subject
- Themed tours are fun like the Ghost Tour of New Haven
- Try a free self-guided audio tour often provided by universities like Yale, museums or cities like New Haven and Hartford