The Manchester Fire Department reports that the occupants of the two and a half story, two family residence on 76-78 Ridge Road were awoken by smoke detectors. The fire was discovered in a second floor bedroom by the occupants of house #78. The residents quickly evacuated the house and called 911.
Fire crews arrived on scene at approximately 2:36 a.m. and began to fight the fire, which had traveled upward to the attic. Crews also made sure no occupants remained in the building and rescued a cat on the house #76 side. The fire was under control at approximately 3:20 a.m.
One of the tenants of the house says that the fire was started by unattended candles. The Fire Marshall is still conducting an investigation to determine an exact cause.
The house has been deemed uninhabitable until repairs are made. The American Red Cross and the Manchester Human Services Department are providing assistance to the displaced residents.