According to officials at the scene, an envelope containing an unknown white powder was found in the building. Six people came into contact with it, and were decontaminated by emergency crews as a precaution.
The powder will be lab tested. Students and staff were allowed back into the building just after 1:30 p.m. The situation is contained, and there is no immediate danger to the public.
A Gateway spokesperson told News 8 Monday afternoon that the college was evacuated for a time for an unsafe situation and the north side of the building. The building was closed for an investigation, but everyone has been let back in, and the incident turned out to be a false alarm.
Gateway Community College President Paul Broadie II released a statement on the incident, saying:
At Gateway Community College, the well-being and security of our students and staff are always our number one priority. We take our commitment to safety serious; regularly review our policies and procedures; and conduct emergency drills to evaluate our preparedness. This incident turned out to be harmless, but I am grateful that our careful planning demonstrated our readiness. I extend my sincerest thanks to the City of New Haven Fire Department and all the other first responders who performed so professionally today, as well as to our students and staff for their cooperation and teamwork.”