State Police: Glastonbury car fire connected to fatal Griswold house fire

GRISWOLD, Conn. (WTNH)– One person has died after a fire broke out in a Griswold home on Wednesday morning.

Connecticut State Police say that at around 5:15 a.m., troopers responded to 70 Kenwood Estates for a fully-involved house fire.

“It went up so quickly and it’s just awful to witness,” said Anna Mihailides.

Her daughter was the first to call 911. They heard small explosions as the fire burned.

“It was massive!” said Mihailides. “We could feel the heat across the street.”

Police say one person was found dead inside the home. Their identity and cause of death has not been released. At least one other person remains unaccounted for.

“We do know that there was two possibly three people that lived in the residence,” said Chief Tom Holowaty with the Griswold Fire Department.

Detectives from the Fire and Explosion Investigation Unit and Eastern District Major Crime have responded to the scene and are assisting in the investigation.

State Police say that this fire appears to be associated with a car that also caught fire in Glastonbury on Wednesday morning. Detectives from the State Police Fire and Explosion Investigation Unit were requested by Glastonbury officials to assist in investigating the car fire that happened outside the Glastonbury Luxury Apartments at 40 Nanel Drive.

Police say there were no injuries and that the car was abandoned.

“It’s kind of a nightmare in a way,” said Duani Shugart who is friends with the son of the couple who owned the Griswold home.

“I called him like I want to say seven times or so,” said Shugart. “And I shot him a text message four times.

He even sent him a message on Facebook but has not heard back.

“I’ve never once seen him mad around me or my friends so he’s a good kid. I’m hoping there’s nothing seriously wrong,” said Shugart.

State police are investigating both fires.

This tragedy comes just days after the same Griswold firefighters searched for a missing snowmobiler on Pachaug Pond. He has yet to be found.

“It’s gonna take a toll on this department,” said Chief Holowaty. “The department is resilient they’ll bounce back out of it. But it’s gonna be…we’ve got to watch our members. We have to make sure they’re going to be okay. And again it’s Christmas time it’s not an easy time of the year.”

WTNH NEWS8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Also, you can now block any inappropriate user by simple selecting the drop down menu on the right of any comment and selection "Block User" from there.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s