State police K9 ‘Texas’ found safe after 36 hour search

K9 Texas was found safe after a 36 hour search in freezing temperatures and rough terrain.

DANBURY, Conn. (WTNH) — A Connecticut State Police K9 missing since Wednesday was found safe and healthy Friday morning.

Danbury Mayor, Mark Boughton first shared the exciting news on social media.

K9 Texas went missing at around 6 p.m. Wednesday night during a search for a missing man in the area of Wooster Mountain in Danbury. State Police said his handler lost his footing while tracking on steep terrain and dropped the 15 foot leash.

Connecticut State Police said K9 search and rescue teams, State Police bloodhound teams and troopers, as well as teams from all across the state and Rhode Island searched tirelessly for the 3-year-old pup.  Three helicopters searched overhead Thursday and another took flight Friday.

State Police Sergeant, Michael Alogna said K9 Texas is one of the their own.

“It was very emotional for Ed to have his dog back, to have his partner,” Alogna said.  “Being a K9 handler, the one thing you value the most is your partner on four legs.”

Alogna said there is no greater Christmas gift.

“It’s very emotional and we’re just happy to have him back,” Alogna added.  “Trooper Texas was lost, so we did everything to find him – it’s better than a Christmas gift.”

Related: Search for missing K9 resumes Friday

Troopers said Special Agent Jeff Kehlenbach, of Homeland Security, found Texas stuck on a fence on Limestone Road in Ridgefield. Then Laura Stabell, of Ridgefield, saw the pair on the side of the road and gave them a ride back to troopers.

Stabell said she was happy she could help reunite K9 Texas with his handler.

“Hundreds of people were here and I just couldn’t believe it,” Stabell told News 8.  “We pulled up and it was like having a Hollywood star in the van!  Texas got out and everybody started cheering!”

K9 Texas was taken to a local vet for a quick check-up, but troopers said everything appeared normal.

“When I saw him, he was perfectly fine,” Serg. Alogna said.  “After spending 36 hours out in the cold, the dog is fine! Eating and drinking and being a bloodhound.”

WTNH NEWS8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Also, you can now block any inappropriate user by simple selecting the drop down menu on the right of any comment and selection "Block User" from there.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s