Snow, extreme cold pose dangers for you, your home

Kevin and Brian Murphy dig out from Thursday's storm, keeping their home's exhaust vent clear from snow.

FAIRFIELD, Conn. (WTNH). — The big dig out continued well in to the afternoon Friday, as families like the Murphy’s shoveled their way out of their home.

Kevin and son, Brian bundled up and got to work early in the day, snow blowing and shoveling.

With Thursday’s rapid snow fall, fast accumulation and wicked winds causing snow drift, the Fairfield Fire Department is making sure neighbors know how to protect themselves and their homes.

Related Content: Frustrations grow about snow removal from the streets

“It’s very, very important people clear their vents – their heating vents and any exhaust vents on the outside of their home,” Deputy Fire Marshall in Fairfield, Lt. Jeffrey Edmondson said.

If exhaust doesn’t exit your home the way it should, especially when snow drift blocks the flow, the result could be potentially deadly carbon monoxide poisoning.

Kevin Murphy is listening to the expert advice.

“We have a gas line on this side of the house and when we shovel we make sure we have a wide path for it,” Murphy said.  “The wind has been kicking up, but not too many snow drifts so it’s not too bad,” his son, Brian added.

Even the fire hydrant on the end of the street the Murphy’s live on is fire department friendly.  Neighbors shoveled a three foot diameter around the hydrant in case of an emergency.

Edmondson says don’t forget to make sure your house number is visible in the snow in the event crews ever needed to get to you.

The fire department is also seeing an influx of calls for frozen pipes.  They expect even more calls as the mercury continues to dip dangerously low.

“Make sure your outside spigots and house bibs are shut off inside,” Edmondson added.  “Make sure no water is getting to them and if you happen to lose heat, do your best to keep those areas warm. Pipe insulation is a good idea of all your pipes.

With more people lighting their fire place, the Fairfield Fire Department says to dispose of ashes in a metal container with a lid and keep it away from the home.

WTNH NEWS8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Also, you can now block any inappropriate user by simple selecting the drop down menu on the right of any comment and selection "Block User" from there.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s