Preventing a potentially deadly killer this time of year

(CNN) – If you lose electricity during severe winter weather, be careful using alternative sources of power for heat.

Carbon monoxide can build up in a home, which can be life-threatening.

The Centers for the Disease Control and Prevention says at least 430 people die in the U.S. from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning every year, and almost 50,000 people visit the emergency room.

Related Content: Snow, extreme cold pose dangers for you, your home

The colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas fumes can be produced by chimneys, portable generators, stoves, lanterns, gas ranges, or by burning charcoal and wood inside the home.

To protect yourself and family, change the batteries in your carbon monoxide detector every six months.

If you don’t have a battery-powered or battery back-up detector, buy one.

Related Content: American Red Cross issues safety reminder regarding generators

Also, watch out for the most common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning: Headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain and confusion.

WTNH NEWS8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Also, you can now block any inappropriate user by simple selecting the drop down menu on the right of any comment and selection "Block User" from there.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s