Kitchen fire evacuates senior housing complex in Manchester

(WTNH/Ken Melech)

MANCHESTER, Conn. (WTNH)– A senior housing complex in Manchester was evacuated Tuesday morning due to a kitchen fire.

The Manchester Fire Department confirms to News 8 that a kitchen fire broke out in a single apartment at the Bennet Apartments at 1146 Main Street at around 9:30 a.m.

Fire crews responded to the scene and evacuated residents of the complex next door to the Army Navy Club. Firefighters then put out the flames, which were confined to one apartment.

manchester fire 2 Kitchen fire evacuates senior housing complex in Manchester
(WTNH/Ken Melech)

There were no injuries reported in the fire but the apartment was damaged and will probably be unoccupied for some time.

Route 83 is closed for the investigation.

Fire crews say the cause of the fire has been deemed accidental due to unattended cooking on a stove-top.

WTNH NEWS8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Also, you can now block any inappropriate user by simple selecting the drop down menu on the right of any comment and selection "Block User" from there.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s