(WTNH) — Celebrity Chef Jamie Sydney makes a Greek lemon chicken soup called Avgolemono.
5 Cups Homemade Chicken Broth
¼ Cup plus 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
2 Large Eggs
1 Rotisserie Chicken, White Meat only,shredded
1 ½ Cups of Cooked Orzo
4 Handfuls of Baby Spinach
4 Spigs of Dill for Garnish
1. Bring the chicken stock to a boil in a large pot.
2. Whisk the lemon juice and the 2 eggs together in a medium-sized bowl until they are slightly frothy.
3. Place a cup of the hot chicken broth in a blender. Slowly add the egg lemon mixture into the blender on medium speed until it is pureed. Make sure to add in the egg mixture very slowly so the eggs can get used to the heat of the broth. This is called tempering the mixture. If you pour the eggs in too quickly the eggs will scramble.
4. Slowly Pour the pureed mixture back into the big pot of broth and whisk until it is incorporated. Simmer the soup for about 10-15 minutes so it can thicken. Be sure to whisk the mixture a few times so it can thicken nicely.
5. Add in the chicken, orzo and spinach leaves. Stir the soup until the spinach leaves wilt. Taste the soup for seasoning and add in any salt and pepper that is needed.
6. Serve the soup in bowls with a sprig of Dill as a garish.