(WTNH) — Chef Liz Cerrato makes healthy Asian turkey lettuce wraps in the kitchen.
1 head boston or bibb lettuce (aka butterhead)
1 lb all-natural ground turkey
2 tbsp canola oil
1 small onion, minced
1 red pepper, minced
1 yellow pepper, minced
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1” ginger root, grated
2 tbsp hoisin or oyster sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tsp sesame oil
¼ cup fresh basil, minced
1. Carefully, remove and rinse lettuce leaves, being careful not to tear them. Set aside to dry while making the filling.
2. In a large skillet, heat canola oil and sauté onion, red pepper and yellow pepper over medium heat until translucent. Add garlic and ginger and sauté for a couple more minutes, being careful not to brown mixture.
3. Add ground turkey and sauté until cooked and no longer pink.
4. Season mixture with hoisin or oyster sauce, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and sesame oil. Simmer for a minute or so until mixture comes together. Add in fresh basil and remove from heat.
5. Spoon meat mixture into a lettuce leaf and wrap it similar to a burrito.
Makes 8 servings.