Crumbling foundation homeowners can file for federal tax break

(WTNH) — Good news out of Washington, D.C. for homeowners impacted by a crumbling foundation.

Connecticut Congressmen Joe Courtney (D-CT 2nd) and John Larson (D-CT 1st) tell News 8 that homeowners who have their foundation replaced in the next three years will be able to get a federal tax write-off.

Related Content: Tax relief extended through 2020 for homeowners with crumbling foundations

In November, the congressmen announced that those with the issue can file a property casualty loss deduction for the out of pocket costs associated with replacing their concrete foundations. Insurance doesn’t cover the replacement and the cost can go into the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

The tax deduction seemed short-lived when the president signed the tax bill in December. It eliminated property casualty loss deductions.

Related Content: Capitol Report “After Hours”: George Colli talks crumbling foundations

However, the IRS has clarified its guidance and granted a three year extension. Now, anyone who replaces a foundation before the end of 2020 can amend their 2017 return and receive the tax break. The same can be done for anyone that replaced a foundation in the last three years.

The issue impacts hundreds, likely thousands of homes in the northeast corner of Connecticut and western Massachusetts.

The Connecticut State Legislature passed a bill last year that sets aside $100 million to study, test and create a program to replace the foundations.


WTNH NEWS8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Also, you can now block any inappropriate user by simple selecting the drop down menu on the right of any comment and selection "Block User" from there.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s