Stretch Your Dollar: Getting more money when filing taxes

(Image: Shutterstock)

(WTNH)– Uncle Sam could owe you money and you may not even know it. We are stretching your dollar with what to look for when filing your taxes that may get you more cash in your pocket. The IRS might give you more money this tax season.

“The IRS even reports annually a billion dollars in unclaimed refunds,” said Latasha Randle, H&R Block Senior Tax Specialist:

Refunds you could be eligible for — and not even know it.

“One of the things that we find that taxpayers overlook is the earned income tax credit. It’s one of those credits where it could be worth up to $6,269 for a taxpayer, but so many people don’t realize that they are eligible for it. As a matter of fact, one in five taxpayers who are eligible fail to take that credit each year,” said Randle.

That tax credit goes to low- and moderate-income workers but you have to ask for it. If you qualify but you already filed your taxes, you could still get cash back.

“Over half of the taxpayers don’t even realize that they have the option to amend that return and claim those deductions,” said Randle. “In most cases, you have up to 3 years to amend that return and claim that money.”

To see a list of common credits and deductions, go to and click on taxes. A simple search could mean a bigger payday.

WTNH NEWS8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Also, you can now block any inappropriate user by simple selecting the drop down menu on the right of any comment and selection "Block User" from there.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s