FILE - In this Oct. 1, 2015 file photo, accused freeway shooter Leslie Allen Merritt, Jr., appears in Maricopa County Superior Court for his arraignment in Phoenix. Prosecutors have decided to dismiss charges against Merritt, Jr., suspected in the freeway shootings that rattled Phoenix last year. Maricopa County Attorney’s Office spokesman Jerry Cobb said Friday, April 22, 2016 that the office filed a motion to dismiss all charges without prejudice against Leslie Merritt Jr. Cobb says authorities and prosecutors identified additional forensic investigation that needs to be completed in order for the case to proceed.  (Tom Tingle/The Arizona Republic via AP, Pool, File)

Charges to be dismissed in Phoenix freeway shooting case

The man authorities have described as the Phoenix freeway shooter who terrorized the city last year received a huge victory Friday with pros…